Proud To Be A Locally Owned Wholesaler
Britton Lumber Company, LLC is a forest products and building materials business. It was founded in 1946 in Hartland, VT. by Allen H. Britton and his sons Allen H. Britton Jr., and Leonard W. Britton. Sole ownership transitioned to Allen H Britton Jr. in 1967 and to his son, Douglas G. Britton in 1984. On January 1, 2014, Robert E. Moses acquired ownership of the company. Bob was formerly founder and owner of an accounting practice in Lebanon, N.H. and was Britton Lumber’s CPA for 25 years.
The Company currently operates two divisions: Manufacturing, which produces Eastern White Pine boards with a sawmill, dry kilns and planer mill in Bath, NH; and Wholesale Distribution, which sells building materials from warehouses in Fairlee, VT, and Gray, ME. The company’s manufactured products are sold through our wholesale distribution as well as other wholesalers and distributors in the United States and Canada. The Wholesale Distribution division buys a wide variety of building materials from manufacturers in North America and distributes them to over 300 retail lumber yards and home centers in Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and New York. There are approximately sixty-five employees company-wide.
Make Us Your Wholesaler Today
Quick Facts on Britton Lumber
- The company was founded in 1946 in Hartland, Vermont.
- Operated both portable and stationary sawmills out of several locations including Hartland, Norwich, West Fairlee & Ely, Vermont in the 1940s through the 1960s.
- We have been in our current location in Fairlee since 1971.
- A satellite distribution yard in Gray, Maine was added in January 2012.
- We acquired our Bath, New Hampshire manufacturing facility in August 2016.
- We have approximately sixty-five employees company wide.
- Started in the early 1970s selling lumber and building materials to retailers in Vermont and New Hampshire.
- We currently serve over three hundred retail customers in six northeast states.
- We offer a wide variety of lumber, roofing and other building material products.
- Sawmill production is approximately 10 million board feet of Eastern White Pine (medium size mill by New England standards for Pine mills). The planermill processes around 11 million board feet a year.
- All production is sawn into 1″ boards, graded rough, kiln dried, planed & graded again to Northeastern Lumber Manufacturer’s Association specifications.
- Markets forour lumber include, retailers in New England, and wholesalers and secondary manufacturers throughout the country. Around 30% of our production goes outside New England.
- Products and uses include siding, paneling, shelving, trim, millwork, furniture, crafts, sheathing & crating.
- By-products from our manufacturing operation include bark (landscaping), chips (pulp & paper mills), sawdust (boiler fuel & cattle bedding) & shavings (horse & cattle bedding)
To manufacture and distribute high quality products; develop and maintain strong customer and vendor relationships based on mutual respect and common goals; create a positive work environment where our employees can be a part of a successful team and have the opportunity to achieve their financial and career goals; and be a good corporate citizen, aware of our obligations to the community and the environment.